Interview with Vida Killz


Hey what's up. Happy your taking the time for an interview.
Thanks for reaching out !



What is Hip-hop in San Jose?

Hip hop in San Jose. I'm just one person, don't think I could give a proper definition. My interpretation of it is this: It's a vast sea of talent, like chess, there's a lot of cats making moves but very few plotting 10 moves ahead. However, those who are..are eating, those who aren't..are hating on those who got their bellies full first. At the end of the day, everyone here is looking out for their family, and I def respect that. As of late, I've even seen more cats building with different subdivisions of camps, which is dope. Final thought, I wish there was less talk and more action.  Less hate and more support amongst the artists/camps/collectives. The followers, fans, supporters and even camps/ artists/ collectives deserve it.







Do you feel progression being the change for San Jose as a movement towards being considered a respectable Hip-hop Community?
I never thought of that previous to your question, so no. I could see how it might help though. I've been huge on spreading the message of folks reaching out to the co-op community we've got going in SJ.  That's what I see as being a vital link towards the scene becoming a full circle. Getting back into the roots of underground/ self promoted/ self made shows; D.I.Y. Folks!




What makes San Jose unique?
The Cesar Chavez snake.




What gives you your creative meaning or power behind your lyrics?
The desire to stay alive. First poem I ever wrote was about depression and suicide, which I had been heavily contemplating, right before high-school. I don't write to gain anything other than peace of mind. I must have filled up 10+ notebooks in high school; notepads and pens were always my release. Through my joy and pains, aside from my now non existent drinking problem, poetry was my only comfort, and I aspire to deliver the passion that has brought me through my poems. I want folks who hear my art to know there's someone else in the world who has felt their pains and I aspire to provide some sort of freedom from their loneliness.  My art isn't a game to me, it's a backed by a desire to save a life or two while I'm blessed to inhabit this earth. I intend to return the favor that self expression through art has given me.



Lately, there has been this fusion with beats over Slam Poetry, what's your take on it?
I think its full circle of art and struggle. Music history is laced with genres forming from reactions to a specific genre missing or ignoring a part of someone's self expression, seems to me that poets are under the spot light currently. I'm proud to see it occurring and to be apart of its creation.



How did you get started?
Like I stated, I've been writing since high-school. I'm loosely trained in a variety of musical instruments, which is where I get my ear and love for production. I got into DJing during high-school which lead me to my love for recording, now expressed as audio engineering. Whilst recording a project in high-school, I decided to record some of my poems over some beats I had laying around... and I've been working on my craft ever since. It's a trip looking back on it all right now, the dots connect more so the further forward I travel.



Leave any info you would want to be posted on the blog. I just want to give a personal thanks for repping the SJ. Stay up kid.


Last year I started a monthly EP project, this year, I'll be continuing on with it and releasing a monthly beat/ spoken word EP. I'll also be dropping more visuals monthly.

For more info:
Www.Organizedthreat.com
Www.Vidakillz.com

Mailing list for my EP project:
Www.vidakillz.com/mailinglist


Much Respect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DeathKillz - Chapter Two [Official Music Video]