Interview with Poetic Death

I just want to say thank you for taking the time for Substance

What is the misunderstanding with Hip-Hop and Rap?

- Well first off, thank you for the interview bro. I appreciate it. In terms of your question, I think the major misunderstanding between Hip-Hop and Rap is the category in which each is placed. Rap is one element to Hip-Hop, whereas Hip-Hop is the culture in its entirety. You see this a lot with just about any "Hip-Hop" artist in the past ten years. People who think that just because they can rap, that makes them Hip-Hop. Wrong, Hip-Hop is the culture. So even if you have some decent raps, your overall lifestyle and the subject matter of your works can completely demolish your Hip-Hop Pass if you are misrepresenting the culture. Common went to Haiti and filmed "Sweet" with no security, Drake can't do that. That's the difference.


How do you see the next generation of music lovers with more and more people graduating with college to their name?

- Well I've never looked at college as something that's contributed to Hip-Hop or music in general. So to be honest, I don't think the next generation will be affected at all. Music is an organism of its own and that will never change. You'll always have your vinyl lovers, your Eletronica fans, Rock and Roll fans, and fans of the classical era. That will never change.


How has this created the new era of the underground movement?

- Music is general is constantly evolving. So I mean, you can expect a "new era" of sound in every generation. It's kind of a good thing to be honest because a lot of Underground heads have resorted to mainstream lyricism, having a fresh wave of sound is something that is greatly needed.

Could you break down the reality of being an unrecognized force in the movement of equality?

- I don't think that is a reality.

What is your thought process as a person of culture, to know the history behind the process of how America came to be?

- I wouldn't consider myself a person of culture simply because English is the only language I know. I would consider myself a person of understanding, and with that I would encourage people to look beyond the history of America and focus on the history of "Self". It's 2012, people need to focus beyond the physical and begin sharpening their minds.

How do you relate your lyrics with your personal life, how close are they related?

- Well, I'd say that 90% of my lyrics are very close to my personal EMOTIONS. The "real world" is a boring place to live in. However, there have been a few songs that I've written that focus on actual events in my life. But for the most part I try to focus on the meta-physical, using my lyrics to provoke thought as best as possible.

What do you feel the future holds for underground media in all aspects of form? 

- The only thing the future holds for the underground and the mainstream is a complete takeover by the Organized Threat movement. Period.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DeathKillz - Chapter Two [Official Music Video]