John Beaver dubstepping for San Jose


San Jose has been struggling with creating its own artistic cultural scene for decades. How truth to that comes from the lack of diversity is any one's guess. We are sitting inside this melting pot of a valley that is burning with true raw talent.

[1] As fall approaches, the season to harvest is among us. Feeling ripe to pick, take a look into picking some fresh beats from the sounds of San Jose’s own, John Beaver. [2] John, who has been a Disk Jockey for 10 years, has been planting sounds across the bay area sharing the stage with artist such as Tiesto, Paul Van Dyke, and Deadmau5.  During the day, you can find him at Happy Hallow Zoo working with animals as a zookeeper. During the weekends however, you can hear him spinning in clubs all around the bay area in cities such as Monterey, Salinas, Modesto, and San Francisco along with larger events including POP, and Coachella.
[3] Stepping inside John’s home gives me this feeling aside that a home is a place of relaxation after a hard day at the office, for John, it’s another day at the office. Strolling along the halls he takes us into his studio. Passing along the rooms, you can see stacks of vinyl tracks in boxes along rows of more boxes with more vinyls.  As we settle into his studio, Beaver [4] begins to play some newly un-released material.  The tracks are a mixture between new school dubstep along with hints of resedue from his punk backround.  Like a hunter wielding his axe and slaying a beast, Beaver slays beats and chops sounds using his computer and infuses his natural charismatic character of what must only be from the years of mastery.

I sat down with the talented Mr. Beaver to ask him a few questions about his influences, style, and growing up in San Jose.

Ramon: How was your early career?
Beaver: It started off about 5 years of just trying to get my music heard. I would go to every event just passing out my demos trying to get my sound out there. That’s just how this industry is; don’t stop and keep pushing.
Ramon: What music influenced you in your early life?
Beaver: I was a huge punk rock fan growing up. The scene was just aggressive at the time.
Ramon: Has that helped you in your field?
Beaver: My diversity in music has given me a branch over others with the ability to adapt to the ever changing music culture. I’m mixing guitar riffs and blending my own creative flow at the moment.
Ramon: How did you make that transition from Punk beats to House/Dubstep?
Beaver: My friends took me to my first rave when I was 15 and I just got hooked ever since. Going to the rave scene was just filled with so much love. It’s all about the music, but most importantly, just going out and having a good time. Dubstep has just become an evolution from the traditional house scene. You can hear Dubstep influence in Britney Spears new hit on the radio which goes to show you just how underground influences mainstream cultural.
Ramon: You recently released a live recording of your new mash-up on StormCloud.com.
Beaver: It’s my live mixing over at Ruby Skye June 9th 2011 along with some other live mixes. http://soundcloud.com/johnbeaver/john-beaver-live-ruby-skye
Ramon: Recently, you held an event over at Happy Hollow Park where you did something interesting.
Beaver: Yeah! We hosted a rave with a live animal show and donated $5,000.00 to the Jaguar Conservation Corps that helps jaguars around the world! There were over 3,000 people who attended for a really special unique night. (http://www.youtube.com/user/MsArielSchwartz#p/u/3/fuEJeMO2YiU)
Ramon: How has being born and raised in San Jose helped with having a success in your art?
Beaver: Growing up in San Jose gives you this advantage of having access to technology.
Ramon:  So in a sense you’re not only an artist, but a producer, sound editor, secretary, and all in one self start-up.
Beaver: The Silicon Valley is known for start-ups in the tech industry, but in my case, it’s the music industry.
Ramon: Rumor has it that you have multiple Facebook pages. Can you tell me about that one?
Beaver: Yeah! My original Facebook page didn’t allow me to accept anymore friends so I just had to create another one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DeathKillz - Chapter Two [Official Music Video]